Monday, March 3, 2014

Show Me the Resources

The deciding factor in agreeing to take part in this class, was knowing that I will have the opportunity to talk to other educators, technology support people and administrators who are going through the same trials as I am.  I want to learn what works and what doesn't. What are the must have resources, tools and tricks that others have learned about along the way in their journey. 

In reply for this knowledge, I will be happy to share the experiences I have ventured through this past school year, as my school rolled out the 1:1 iPad initiative.  What the advantages and disadvantages are to iPads.  How we have tried to work through or around those issues.  How taking such a large progressive step forward is viewed in a very small community.  I will be as candid as possible of any question asked of me. 

Thinking of the larger picture is where I must slow myself down.  This initiative is a process, an ever evolving process.  We can learn from each other, but we don't often take the time or pay attention to others, when we "think" we already know what we want.  Something I have really struggled with this past year is meaningful Professional Development for my teachers.  Not everyone on staff has a positive outlook when it comes to technology, so not only do I need to create a non-threatening atmosphere, I need it to be perceived as helpful, instructional, inspiring and not intimating.  This has proven to be a tall order.  So I am here to soak it up from the rest of you.  How do you create positive buy in and continue to force the envelope to insure the technology is being used the correct way? 


2 comments:

  1. One of the best books I ever read was Dale Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People. It's an oldie, for sure, but the messages he has are so relevant. People want the same things: to be appreciated and noticed. Carnegie lays it out in a no nonsense, memorable way. If it works with teenagers, it will work with anybody! : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if I know how to create positive buy-in, but we are trying to offer PD in small groups or one-on-one so as to provide hands-on help. With evaluations/RISE, collaboration can be even more difficult. Being patient, positive, and supportive are usually effective. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete